Maryland WaTER Testing
Water Testing in the Westminster, Baltimore, Annapolis, and surrounding areas
Who Should Get Water Testing for their Home?
The short answer is EVERYONE should have their water tested. We all take our water supplies for granted, yet they are the most critical thing for our existence and our health. If you have a rural home with a private water supply, it is extremely important for you to have your water tested at least annually. Even if your home is on a municipal/public water supply, it may contain contaminants that were not in the water supply at its source.
Let me test your Maryland home’s water. You cannot predict your home’s water supply quality based on past test results or test results taken in other homes in your neighborhood. As a trained Maryland-certified water sampler, we can professionally sample the water in your house. We use only Maryland-certified laboratory partners for the analysis of the water samples. We can perform stand-alone Water Testing or we can bundle it with your Maryland Home Inspection for your convenience.
The only way to know your home’s water quality is to have it tested! Wouldn’t you like to know if your water is safe? Your health and your family’s health are far too important to leave your water to chance. Call 443-939-HOME (4663) today to schedule your Water test so that you can “Rest easy with Absolute Assurance!™”
Buying or Selling a Rural Home? You May Need Water Testing...
Water Quality or Potability Testing May Be Required
In many areas, mortgage lenders require water quality testing for properties with private wells. Most lenders will accept a home inspector as an independent water tester. At a minimum for a conventional loan, they will likely require the private well water source to be tested for Nitrates and bacteria, including E. coli and Coliforms. If you are getting a Federally-backed loan (FHA, VA, USDA), your lender may also require additional testing for Lead and/or Nitrites.
If you’re buying a home, you should order a comprehensive water test as part of the home inspection process. In accordance with the Maryland Department of the Environment’s water sampling protocols, we will collect a series of various sized water samples and deliver them to a local, State-certified water testing lab. The results for basic testing (Nitrate/Nitrites, Bacteria, Coliforms, pH) typically come back within within 48 hours. Tests for minerals and other contaminants (Lead, VOC’s, Radon, other Metals) can take up to 2 weeks to complete, so please schedule early in the purchasing process so that we can ensure your results are delivered in a timely manner to you!
Private wells should be tested:
- At least annually
- When a new well is constructed
- When an existing well has not been operating for an extended period of time
- If the well is opened for repair
- If the well has been flooded
- Whenever bacterial contamination has been suspected (occupant illness)
- When the home is going to be sold (often part of loan approval)
Commonly Requested Water Tests Available
The majority of the time we get requests for water testing for Real Estate transactions for either conventional or Federal Program home loans. However, we can also provide you with water tests at any time for a variety of other potential contaminants. Here is a list of some of our water testing options available and Laboratory Turn Around Times (TAT):
- Conventional Loan (Bacteria/Coliforms and Nitrate)*
- FHA, VA, USDA Loan (Bacteria, Nitrate, Nitrite, Lead)*
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) (petroleum products 7-10 TAT)
- Lead (5-7 day TAT) – rush orders possible for additional fees
- Radon in Water (5-7 day TAT)
- Heavy Metals Profile (5-7 day TAT) – Barium, Beryllium, Cadmium, Chromium, Lead, Mercury & Nickel
- Comprehensive Metals Profile (5-7 day TAT) – Aluminum, Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Calcium, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper, Iron, Lead, Magnesium, Manganese, Mercury, Nickel, Selenium, Sodium, Thallium & Zinc
- Comprehensive Bacteria Profile: (3-6 day TAT) – total & fecal coliform [E. coli] bacteria, fecal strep [Enterococcus], heterotrophic plate count [HPC] Pseudomonas aeruginosa [P/A]), and Yeast & Molds
- Herbicides and Pesticides (10-14 day TAT)
*These parameters are what are typically requested for these types of loans. Each lender is different, however, so please check with your lender before ordering testing to be sure it will meet the lender requirements!
Please call us at 443-939-HOME (4663) for current pricing for each testing option!